Events make a positive contribution to our region by building vibrancy, enhancing the visitor experience and growing economic value. As part of our strategy to make Manawatu New Zealand’s most progressive region by 2025, CEDA has funding available to support major events.
Eligibility and Criteria
CEDA works collaboratively with PNCC, MDC and key partners to identify, attract, develop and promote economic events in Palmerston North and Manawatu that deliver significant economic value against each of the following Key Outcomes:
- Contribute to the region’s economy
- Attract visitor nights, and/or day trips to Palmerston North and Manawatu
- Positively enhance the profile of Palmerston North and Manawatu
CEDA classifies economic events as Iconic, Major or Minor. These can either be a one-off or recurring sport, recreation, entertainment or cultural event which show a strong track record of growth, or growth potential.
The Major Events Fund is a 12-month fund offering grants between $10,000 and $25,000.
There are three primary categories:
- Events that are new and warrant start-up funding because they have significant long-term growth potential for the region.
- Long-standing events that have a proven track record in delivering a high profile for Manawatu, make the region more attractive to visitors, and have the potential for further growth.
- Significant one-off events that present an opportunity to deliver substantial benefits to Manawatu through profile, increased visitor numbers and new business opportunities.
The funds may only be used for:
- Marketing costs associated with the event that will increase awareness and visitation
- Strategic planning to address the long term development of the event
- The use of short-term (up to six months) specialised personnel to further develop the event significantly
Note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered eligible for assessment.